The homestead was settled by Harry DuBois in 1898, on a shell mound of the Hobe Indians. This massive oyster shell mound was over six hundred feet long, and close to twenty feet tall. Later archeological research discovered artifacts dating back to 500 BC. The DuBois family continue to inhabit the land until the the Palm Beach County Park system purchase it in 1972. Today the DuBois home still stands atop the shell mound, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.